There is much to be said about leadership, how to lead, who to lead, when to lead, who to keep close when leading, leadership culture, developing leaders around you, etc. But eventually one comes to a place in life that leadership legacy questions emerge and the heart and mind transitions from being in front of the leadership pack, to who are those I’m preparing to lead in the next generation?
What’s Next is about asking the right questions of self.
• Am I going to leave a legacy?
• What is my legacy?
• Who will carry on my hopes, dreams, priorities I have given my life to?
• How do I instill a leadership culture around me that lives on beyond me?
• Choosing my replacement(s) – who, when, where?
• Keeping the main thing the main thing; passion and priorities handed down.
For those of you who have already addressed the above questions; may your life continue to be enriched and blessed. For the many of you who may just be beginning to ask the What’s Next questions, feel free to reach out to me for an honest dialogue. I may be able to assist you and your team as you position yourself and the next generation of leaders for the inevitable transition before you.
I leave you with this last thought. The Bible informs us that we are like a vapor, here today and gone tomorrow. Life is brief. When we focus more on those leaders coming behind us vs. what are we doing to leave a mark in the sand of history, there are those who will continue to write the story we have begun.